Friday 15 August 2008

A White Player in the West Indies?

It's been a long time since a white player has represented the West Indies - at least to my recollection, but with the announcement that former Queenslander Brendan Nash has been drafted into the Windies squad for the upcoming Tri-Series in Canada, that drought may come to an end. I've just been so used to seeing an all-black Windies side it will be almost kind of funny to see a white player in the team.

One of the things I've always liked about cricket is that as a sport, you can't knock it for not being racially diverse. You can't exactly look at it and go - it's a rich white man's sport for example, and I love that fact. That said, Brendan Nash playing for the West Indies isn't a bad thing at all, more power to him. I do wonder how the Windies feel about the notion - from cricketing powerhouse to picking Australia's dregs? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: