Friday 25 July 2008

Howzat? Not out. Are you sure??

Sri Lanka and India are playing the first test match under new umpire challenge rules, and I'm not sure if I like where this is going.

I'm sure Tillakaratne Dilshan will disagree as he managed to appeal a decision and was given not out.

I can just see this whole idea failing. Each team is allowed 3 challenges per innings. On field the authorisation to challenge a decision will obviously fall with the captain - but it makes me wonder about the batting side. I'd expect those three challenges will be used up pretty quickly by the top order, leaving the number 5 batsman probably without any opportunity to challenge the poorly given out catch while he's fighting hard to keep a crumbling innings together.

I've always been a strong proponent of using technology to aid the game of cricket, but I don't think players challenging the decision is the answer. I think it compromises one of the fundamental elements of the game which is to respect the umpires decision. This has already been sadly compromised after the Darrell Hair incident, but it needs to stop.

I'm more thinking along the lines of real-time 3rd umpire decisions. Such as accurate and instant hawk eye and snickometer calls that can be feed to the onfield umpire so the delay time is minimal in making a decision. If I have to wait a few years for that to come to fruition, that's fine by me.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: